Kalmar sends hybrid RTGs to Long Beach for TTI

Kalmar sends hybrid RTGs to Long Beach for TTI

Photo source: Kalmar

Kalmar has recently sent its hybrid rubber-tyred gantry cranes (RTGs) to its customer Total Terminals International in Long Beach, California. The units have been loaded onboard the semi-submersible heavy lift vessel, Kang Sheng Kou. 

The vessel departed the Chinese Wujiang Port on January 8 and is heading across the North pacific Ocean towards the Port of Long Beach, with AIS data showing its ETA as February 2.

RTGs are part of a deal Kalmar agreed with Total Terminals International valued at approximately $13 million.

Established in 1991, TTI is a full-service marine terminal and stevedore operator headquartered in Long Beach, California on the US West Coast. The company is 80 percent owned by Terminal Investment Limited (TiL), a unit of MSC Group, with the remaining 20 percent owned by Hyundai Merchant Marine.

Kalmar’s hybrid RTGs will help TTI lower emissions and support the terminal’s sustainable growth plans. The hybrid solution will enable a significant reduction in diesel and noise emissions thanks to the lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries which supply 100 percent of the power needed by the crane, while the diesel is only used for charging the batteries when needed.

Author: Adnan Bajic

Add your comment

characters remaining.

Log in through one of the following social media partners to comment.