Maersk to resume Red Sea transit
The situation in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden is a quickly changing one and the shipping giant Maersk has voiced its readiness to resume transiting the Suez Canal and the Red Sea.
It is worth reminding that the major container lines have decided to sail the long way around Africa due to the attacks on merchant vessels by the Houthi militia. The area was deemed unsafe for vessels and crews.
In its latest update on the situation, Maersk said its utmost priority has been and always will be the safety of its seafarers and the cargo on its vessels, and all contingency measures have been introduced with these in mind.
“As of Sunday 24 December 2023, we have received confirmation that the previously announced multi-national security initiative Operation Prosperity Guardian (OPG) has now been set up and deployed to allow maritime commerce to pass through the Red Sea / Gulf of Aden and once again return to using the Suez Canal as a gateway between Asia and Europe. This is most welcome news for the entire industry and indeed the functionality of global trade,” Maersk said.
“With the OPG initiative in operation, we are preparing to allow for vessels to resume transit through the Red Sea both eastbound and westbound. We are currently working on plans for the first vessels to make the transit and for this to happen as soon as operationally possible,” Maersk said.
The company added that returning to the Suez Canal and the Red Sea will be done while also ensuring the safety of its employees, which is its number one priority.